alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshthakurdin View Post
Hi All,
I own a 330d G20, 2019 model. Picked it up as a demo with 10k on the clock. I'm led to believe that the msport version comes with 2VL (variable sport steering) as part of the package. I also have an issue with this new steering system. Raised this issue with the dealer principle and he advises that the steering rack has angled teeth on either side of the centre point. This I'm told allows for sharper turns and reduced play on the wheel. However am not convinced that this is an improvement. It would appear that they have borowed this technology from Porsche.
On a flat long bend, it is difficult to corner at high speeds as one has to make constant adjustments to the wheel. Also because of the resistance passed the play point, one has to keep both hands on the wheel. Not my idea of a relaxed driving experience. I normally drive in eco pro mode as I find the steering somewhat easier but not normal. My old 330d F30 2013 steering is still better. Have also placed both vehicles side by side. The old 330d sits lower and has a compact look.I'm waiting for my local non-bmw wheel alignment centres to acquire the new software before I take it in for castor,camber and toe check. Will advise if there is any improvement. Sadly most of the reviews on the G20's are from car dealers that have borrowed the test vehicles from BMW and don't wish to comment adversely. Is there an issue with the steering system or am I just being paranoid?

Hate to break it you but the steering on the G20 is the only part of the car that is universally disappointing. Bmw tried to do a "one size fits all" here and it's not great. Can be a little twitchy at high speeds yet very slow and unresponsive at low speeds. You'll get used to it.
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 0