View Single Post
      11-24-2019, 10:06 AM   #165
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM2 View Post
Just to clarify. Automatic = DCT? If it means torque converter auto that would be disappointing.

The timing is way out there. I might have to look at a Carrera.
There are entire long threads on the fact that the G8x M cars will have the ZF8 transmission. It does have a torque converter - that allegedly locks up quite quickly.

That doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as the fact that the ZF8 is really horrible to drive using the paddles (at least in the X3M). Very close gear ratios, not much rev range, and it won't downshift when you want it to.

In short, it's a transmission that only works when driven in 'full auto' ... where it's normally configured to save fuel (i.e. it will be in 8th gear by 30mph). They make a big deal out of the fact that it can 'change down many gears at once (from 8th to 2nd!) but this is just hiding the fact that it was in the wrong gear to begin with.

Yes, you can drive it in 'Sport+++' mode - where it will just keep the revs higher *all the time* ... but the whole point of a DCT is that it was essentially a manual gearbox without the badly designed 3-pedal user interface. I got to time my gear changes. I got to choose my revs. I don't need to use my left foot, and take one hand off the steering wheel to do that. (and change which hand I use to shift gears based on which country I'm driving in )

You can build the fanciest auto transmission you like, but it can't predict the future, so it doesn't know when the next bend is, or how fast I want to take it. Given that, you necessarily end up putting a whole lot of effort into making sure that a gear change at the wrong time doesn't put the car in a spin. The result is something that is smooth, bland and unengaging for the driver.

Oh... and I completely agree with your comment on the release timing. A 2 year gap where I can't upgrade my M car is just no longer acceptable.
I really think I'm going to have to go for an M2 Comp/CS to tide me over until I can see whether they pull something magic out of the bag with the G82 (but it's not looking very promising right now)

Last edited by pbar; 11-24-2019 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
kyrix1st2350.50