WhiteJames
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport Plus

Comparison: 320d v 330i / Passive v Adaptive / ESC v M Sport Diff

BMW 320d -v- BMW 330i

Background:

I spent the morning testing driving two versions of the 3 series:

320d M-Sport on passive dampers.
330i M-Sport Plus Package with M-Sport Limited Slip Differential on adaptive dampers.

My previous vehicle was a Golf 7 GTI.

BMW 320d:

The 320d diesel had the M-Sport package with 19” wheels, small brakes, Alcantara seats and passive dampers.

320d - Motor:

The diesel motor of the 320d sedan is incredibly strong down-low in the rev range. The 2.0 litre turbo-diesel punches hard in the lower gears. It gets to the speed limit very quickly around town. The ZF 8 speed auto changes up imperceptibly, it almost feels like a CVT belt driven transmission – only much faster.

The drawback of the diesel is that the power band is narrower compared to the petrol motor. The Diesel auto does not hold the revs as long as the 330i petrol motor. The petrol takes time to work smoothly through its power band.

The 320d does not have to be worked as hard to gain forward momentum. All that diesel torque down low is perfect for highway cruising. The BMW diesel motor is remarkably smooth as it revs out through the gears. It’s a fantastic diesel motor, albeit a bit one dimensional in its power delivery. Long-term, I could definitely live with this motor for city and highway cruising. Fuel economy would be great too.
Appreciate 3
mathys202.50
Fuller1216.50
francton126.50