-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteJames View Post
Passive -v- Adaptive Suspension:

The fixed-rate passive dampers -v- adaptive dampers are a bit like a typewriter and computer keyboard.

The fixed-rate passive dampers are like the typewriter. They are purely mechanical. The passive typewriter will always offer more driver control, chassis feel and chassis feedback. There’s a direct mechanical connection between the wheels, suspension and chassis. Just like the typewriter. The passive dampers will allow the vehicle to lean, roll, dive, pitch and heave to a greater degree. This is based purely on mechanical forces.

The adaptive dampers are like a computer keyboard. Adaptive puts a layer of computer algorithm control between the driver’s inputs and the wheels, suspension & chassis. This impacts on the driver control, driver feel and driver feedback to a degree.

Adaptive dampers artificially work to keep the BMW flat in turns, under acceleration and braking. This is done by increasing or decreasing the damping forces on the move. This is why the 330i on adaptive suspension offered a better ride in Sport mode over that of the 320d on passive fixed-rate dampers. The electronics are always working in your favour.

The issue for any prospective purchaser of a BMW 3 series on the firmer M Sport suspension:

If the mechanical typewriter keys are firm to press - they are always firm. If the mechanical typewriter keys are too soft to press - they are always too soft. In order to change from soft typewriter keys to firm typewriter keys, you need to change the typewriter keys. Similar thing with passive fixed-rate dampers. You’re stuck with either firm or comfortable all the time.

The computer controlled adaptive dampers do create a loss of ultimate feel for both driver and chassis. It does make sporty driving easier, but less engaging and less demanding on the driver.

With the adaptive setup, there is no need to change the typewriter. If you want Comfort - press a button. If you desire firmer and sporty – press another button. If you want really firm – press Sport +. It’s a lot easier than having to swap out dampers.

BMW have done an excellent job of finding the ultimate balance between adaptive Comfort and Sport settings. Well done BMW.

In respect to the difference between the BMW M-Sport suspension and BMW Luxury suspension: I’m figuring the passive suspension on the no-cost Luxury option would be better suited over the passive M-Sport suspension for Australian conditions for normal driving in traffic.

All BMW 3 series vehicles sent to Australia ride on M Sport suspension. This is the default suspension setting for Australia. The standard Luxury suspension is available to order as a no-cost option if you’re happy to wait for build and delivery.

It’s not surprising that BMW Australia have opted to fit adaptive dampers to all G20 BMW 330i’s and 340xi’s as standard equipment. Passive dampers are not available to order in Australia for the 330i and 340xi variants.

Cheers,

WJ
Thanks very much for that wonderfully detailed response! That makes tremendous sense. I'm as confident in my choice as you are in yours, good luck with your purchase and hope to see you around!
Appreciate 0