View Single Post
      05-18-2020, 08:06 PM   #224
the_rus
Registered
Rep
Drives: Genesis G70 3.3T AWD

I used to think the G70 is comparable to a BMW M340, and actually bought one in October 2019. Like many of you have been guessing, I bought it due to price (I would have bought the BMW M340 if I could). With dealer discount, I got twin turbo V6 power, tons of tech that basically let it drive itself on the highway, and good looks for under $44k. A similarly specced M340 was north of $65k. I felt smart, for like a month.

After 2,700 mostly highway miles, the cost cutting became VERY apparent. Squeaks and rattles everywhere, with dealers not willing to fix them. Then came the sunroof rattles. Then I found out my headliner makes tons of noise because it is mostly glued on...and the glue melts on a sunny, 75 degree day.

Then my steering shaft's coupler broke and left turns became mildly terrifying. The Hyundai dealers (there are no standalone Genesis dealers) kept saying all this was normal and that "the manager's Sonata makes a sunroof noise, too". My steering was repaired on the 5th attempt, after I found the issue, and took a video of the loose coupler for them.

I finally found a semi-competent dealer, and they've had my car for a while. Depending on what happens next, I may find myself shopping for an M340. Seems more affordable than I remember with all the lease specials.

I even went for a test drive in a courtesy M340 with 5k miles on it. I assume courtesy cars are not treated so well, so it would be a good showcase of BMW durability vs Genesis. It was no contest. The M340 felt so much more solid. Like driving a bank vault. The suspension was firmer and a bit harsher than the G70...but it still felt better because of how much more solid it felt. It was also quieter at highway speed. I'm not sure how, but it also felt much, much, much faster than the G70, especially flooring it at 70mph. Whereas the G70 moves, the M340 took off like I was at a standstill.

This was all a very long winded way of saying...no, these two cars are in no way comparable. One is built like trash around a decent V6 and transmission by what I assume are underpaid North Korean laborers. The other feels like a precision built masterpiece the second you start driving.
Appreciate 3
Transfer5254.00
3erMan153.00