View Single Post
      07-30-2019, 06:25 PM   #1
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Mission Performance Presents World's First Tuning Solution For G20 M340i.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
It has been very busy at our development headquarters, but we are finally able to present you with the world's first solution to tune ANY M340i!

First of, let me start by saying that BMW is making it harder and harder for us to crack these DMEs. Back in the day, they introduced some proprietary checksum calculations that were very difficult to reverse engineer. Then they introduced dummy words/bytes to mark files as factory. Then out of the box thinking when it comes to file layouts followed by RSA signatures that are virtually unbreakable. And now we have all new can of worms to deal with when it comes to G20 platform, though once again, we are able to crack it.

The M340i was extremely over-rated when it rolled off the production plan, with nearly 400whp in stock form! Yes you read it right, if you purchased one of the first vehicles in production, then you have near 400whp STOCK car. That is due to the fact that BMW forgot to implement SWT (Tuning Authorization Certificate), and thus customers received a factory tuned cars. But quick, BMW caught onto this issue, and implemented a software "fix" that limited your power a bit. This new fix limited your power to 346whp (390bhp) and yet that still was over what EPA/BMW specs should be, so early July of 2019, BMW implemented yet another software fix to bring the car down to advertised 338whp(382bhp). Not only did they lower the power down, they also implemented a new style firewall against tuning, fully disabling our access to the DME key sectors that we have once used to exploit and be able to flash our own files. After this latest updates, the boot-loader was moved to a whole new protected area that no one has access to. On top of this, all new flashing routines were implemented to ensure that tuners can not modify the existing bootloader, or even access the backup one previously stored in open area of the ECU.

After a LOT of work and nearly frying this brand new ECU 5 times, we were able to bypass all of the BMW protection, and now we have a fully ability to crack even the newest bootloader available. And all of this can be done over OBD2 port.

Now for the numbers and graphs:
The vehicle is a bone stock 2020 M340i with only 400miles on the clock. At 300 miles we have flushed out the factory 0w-20 oil and went with Motul 4w-40, our preferred choice when it comes to oil for B58. At the same time we gapped the factory plugs (Still Champion to 0.025") and changed the filter. You can see that after 300miles, this fresh motor accumulated a bit of metal:

Now finally at the dyno we did a baseline pull for the Pre-July flash and also one Post July update (It is very important to set this car into Dyno mode or else transmission will be acting up and shifting for you):

And the Stock numbers came in at:

And for those who are interested, here is a stock datalog:
https://datazap.me/u/missiontuning/m340run4stock

Time for mFlasher to some magic and flash this otherwise bone stock M340i to something a bit more fun:

And graphs

Stage 1 flash:

Stage 1.5 flash:

Logs:
https://datazap.me/u/missiontuning/m...&data=17-20-23

One thing is clear now, Fuel pressure is no longer an issue as we have amazing supply of fuel, even at redline at 20psi of boost. What is a limiter now, is the turbo. at nearly 440whp, we are outside of turbo's ability to flow fresh air and start chocking the motor. This clearly can be seen on the follow graph at around around 5300rpm.

The 440whp/480ftlb is possible on a bit of modified hardware with better fuel, CAT delete and maybe water injection. With those things in place, we can run a bit more timing and take stress away from the turbo, though this platform can easily hit 500whp once Pure rolls out support for this engine.

And a short video of the dyno run:
Appreciate 13
MadMoose113.50
Pauleebe379.50
ssadri68.50
Miko M6648.50
clee1982796.00
gmfive98.00
BDP_FL0.00
Sedoy675.50
NYAWE60645.00
SPJR34.00