ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I would agree skipping over the awd and 8at and instead developing the dct to handle 530 hp would have been great.
The DCT is torque limited, not power limited. The current DCT with its 700N-m/516lb-ft limit could have easily coped with the S58 power and torque levels with margin to spare for CS and CSL variants. It's one of the reason I am upset with the avenue of AWD on the G8X, as it forces other compromises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
If the awd version tips 3800 lbs, then I'll be damned... that really should make everyone at least consider the other options...

The rear end of the M3 just needed some wider 285s running on PS4s w a slightly more sorted out suspension and it would hve been great... then just pimp the body w CF parts for even further weight savings. At this weight, you are almost defeating the purpose of what this car is to be.
The RWD M340i is above 3,800lb while the M340i xDrive is very close to 4,000lb. Usually, the weight reduction initiatives barely offset the added weight of the added go-fast goddies in ///M cars, plus the 8AT is heavier than the DCT, so I don't expect the G8X to be a lightweight. That being said, maybe a base 6MT stripper can near 3,700lb. But that still quite heavy for a stripper, and as you say, it defeats the purpose of such a car. We can only hope BMW pushed weight reduction even further on this gen and surprise us.
The real question to ask ourselves here... is what does bmw think of the M3 as? In my mind, the real enthusiast would want the rwd option... but w the current setup of more powerful and auto options being reserved for the awd model... we will never really know as similar vehicles w both variants will not be offered.

Does bmw think they are losing that large of a market share by people coming out of the woodwork for an awd m3? If so... i gather they think this will be a daily for many driving in the snow. To me thats not really an enthusiast vehicle but a mixed daily use car... as intended for an M3... but we are getting to the point w weight and awd / auto, why not just get anything else in the segment? Don't see the pull towards the bmw as in the past. I think I am keeping my M2 comp for quite a while...