View Single Post
      08-01-2020, 02:47 PM   #282
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Think this is true, performance development on race tracks has always served M well.

But as performance limitations are increased that can be at the expense of day to day interactivity. The performance ceiling becomes so high that it's essentially inaccessible on-road. New M5 suffers from this effect, imo. Seems like it's bored, pretty much always.

Particularly interested to see if the G8X is engaging well under the performance limit. That might be their biggest challenge.

Haven't driven a Giulia, but my understanding is that much of the fanfare has to do with its consistent engagement factor -- quick steering, engine presence, etc.
True about the M5 but it’s never really had ambitions to be a weekend track car. I’m optimistic that BMW want this differentiation to remain for the M3 not to render the M5 obsolete. I.e. the M5 will remain the more luxurious executive autobahn missile it’s always been and the M3 will remain the more communicative track friendly car. There certainly isn’t anything in this video that says differently.
Appreciate 1
FormulaMMM3662.50