View Single Post
      02-16-2021, 12:20 PM   #302
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I'd be interested to see where that statement was made.

"Symbolizes the essence of a modern and highly emotional coupe at the very core of BMW. A progressive and confident interpretation of our heritage. An everyday dream car. From now on, the number 4 will stand for an even more self-confident and expressive series of products. All models will show a complete differentiation to the current 3 series as we believe in the different individual characters of our customers. A daring and confident identity. A fast outline. BMW proportions in their most modern form. A true brand-shaper."

-- Domagoj Dukec, Head of BMW Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
If your theory was correct, please explain why a hatch and not a trunk like the other two Gran Coupes in the showroom? That decision did not come "cheap" to them.
BMW has been trying to differentiate the 4 from the 3 and the liftback seemed like a good way to do that. Direct competition from Audi as well. I appreciate the feature, but it's not a prerequisite. I just like the way it looks. Low and wide, it's a coupe with two small doors carved out for the brats who took dad's fun away for a decade.

The 4 Series is the range where BMW steps out of its 3 Series groove and the recent redesign and words from the head of design make it clear that there isn't going to be some sort of turtle-like GT butt bolted onto their sexiest 4 Series variant.
Appreciate 0