View Single Post
      11-10-2019, 06:06 AM   #52
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Aaah brings back memories as a person who grew up in SA. I'm not convinced the 330 is the spiritual successor of the e30 325is, the 340i in RWD format would be a better homage.

To give a bit more history on the South African e30 325is models, they were limited edition homologation cars to maximise performance in the very popular Group N standard production car race series.
The first BMW motorsport fettled e30 325i was called the 'shadowline'. This was a stock 2 door e30 with race homologation enhancements, like an LSD, a base spec to keep weight down and the tartan fabric sports seats. Externally it looked like a standard e30.
With the second version group N special the 'Shadowline' name was dropped and it got the extra S on the badge. These cars were fitted with the M technic bodykit including a large boot spoiler, BBS wheels and a special paint range. They had an engine capacity increase to 2.7 litres to give a 20kw (30hp) power increase and later the Evo 2 version had 30kw (42hp) upgrades. BMW dominated the group N series with these cars.

I don't agree that the IS models were a mini E30 M3 replacement. For that South Africa had the super rare 333i. Which was a 325i with a 7 series 3.2 litre engine stuffed into it and sprinkled with Alpina magic.

I agree, they should have kept the IS range instead of diluting the M badge. I'd much rather my M240i was a 240is
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN13142.00
Vervain396.50