k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRNMD View Post
I would definitely do that too. However this whole warranty thing makes me reluctant. So how does it work in your case and everyone else who is still under warranty and changes oil with the 5W-30. If something serious goes wrong with the engine and the dealer sees that the 0W-20 wasn't used, the warranty is gone.

So I guess in this case (as with most mods) it's a "do it at your own risk" type of thing right? (even though technically there should be no issues)
The B58 engine (engine code for the motor inside the M340i) can take a plethora of oil viscosities. Still, that doesn't mean just dump any old oil in there. Pennzoil is the brand for Shell oils, who are (or were) the OEM partner for BMW. Needless to say, it's pretty good stuff. If something serious does go wrong, the dealership will have to do a diagnostic and will have to conclude that the oil is what caused the issue. By law they can't just point at it and say "warranty is voided due to a non OEM part."

Pennzoil Platinum Euro L is still BMW Longlife-04 approved oil. In Europe, oil spec is LL04 for the B58. BMW specifies 0w20 for use in NA to comply with CAFE/EPA, as lighter oil is more fuel efficient. Same engine, just different requirements. So you're not "breaking" anything on the engine by switching your engine oil.

Last edited by k4sh_90; 08-30-2021 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 3