edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_ckash623 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRNMD View Post
Thank you so much for your reply, it definitely lowered some of my anxiety on this oil thing.

So I have a 2021 which means I have the GPF (i couldnt find where to confirm it officially).

From what I understood, I should use LL-04 0W-20.

After reading all these other posts combined with youtube comments saying the same thing, I am confused.

I see so many posts saying that 0W-20 is garbage and it doesn't provide the adequate lubrication. So, they recommend 0W-30 or 5W-30.

I completely understand this from the technical standpoint. However, I am terrified to go against the owner's manual because of potentially losing my warranty.

I don't mean to sound too much like an amateur but this is my first BMW ever and knowing how expensive it is to fix just deters me in this case.

What brand and viscosity would you recommend? Also if the free oil changes at the dealer are 0W-20, would mixing viscosities every other oil change be harmful?
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
If under warranty use what dealership wants you to use.
If planning to keep vehicle, use LL04. LL04 doesn't come in 0W20 flavor. It comes in 5W30 or 5W40. Grade is not important as the fact you should stick to LL04 specification.
There are numerous oils to choose from, but most convenient and really good one would be Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 going for $22 for 5qt in your local Wal Mart.
Like edycol said, you can definitely keep with the dealership oil changes if you're worried about the warranty.

I second the Pennzoil Platinum Euro L recommendation. Mostly because that's what I bought to put in the car next weekend. I'm still under free maintenance, but I'd rather get better oil in the car sooner than later.
To keep warranty one does not have to use dealership! Per Magnusson-Moss Act one has to use oil recommended. Oil change can be DIY and warranty will be kept.
B48/58 engines, like all engines can take any grade. But remember fellas, grade is irrelevant, approval is what matters! BMW like all European manufacturers base oil approvals on HTHS (High Temperature High Shear) not grade. LL01 and LL04 are minimum HTHS 3.5cp. HTHS? Resistance of oil to temporary or permanent loss of viscosity. Higher HTHS, more resistance. But, you don't want to go crazy in that department. Higher HTHS=worse mpg.
Someone mentioned mixing grades. That is fine. One of API requirements is for oils to be able to mix; different oils and different grades.
Appreciate 2
k4sh_90539.00
BMWRNMD14.50