edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRNMD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_ckash623 View Post
Topped off the engine with Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 this last weekend. So far so good on the engine. Been trying to run the engine a little hard in my daily driving, something that's quite a bit more entertaining since I installed the Dinan axle-back exhaust.
Thanks for the update. Does it take longer to warm up to operating temp? Also do you notice a difference in driving with the 0W-20 vs 5W-30? Does this more viscous oil require the engine to be driven harder?

Also I just watched a video of that exhaust and it sounds amazing! I definitely like the sounds more compared to MPE.
More viscous oil doesn't need to be driven harder.
Thicker oil will achieve operating temperature faster as resistance is higher. However, at much lower temperatures 0W20 will flow better. At KV40 (kinematic viscosity at 40c) 0W20 will flow better and in case of let's say need for WOT, will provide bit faster lubrication.
IMO, flow of 5W30 oils that are LL04 is sufficient for proper lubrication in cold months in lower 48. In Alaska or Canada, like Edmonton, 0W20 might be better choice during winter.
Appreciate 1
BMWRNMD14.50