03-13-2019, 08:59 PM   #77
///M-Furby
Master Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Rob View Post
Blasphemy! Every car guy will tell you, it's a car, not a restaurant! If you want cup holders and automatic transmissions, buy a Honda!

So, my final statement on the transmission. I dont let the car select my radio station or the volume. I dont let the car select the temperature or the window status. I dont let the car select my seat position or height. And i never want the car to steer, brake, or accelerate for me. So, why, in the hell, would I let the car pick the gears for me? Why buy a sports car if it is going to self drive?
The only honda I ever thought of buying was the civic. I got in one, and my head hit the roofline. It was then a 2000 Dodge Intrepid, then a 96 Nissan Maxima, then 2006 330xi, then 2012 335xi, then M3.

It's all preference my friend. You let the car do a lot of automatic things for you (e.g., traction control, navigation, todays climate control is automated, auto-high beam assist, and more). Do I want my car driving for me? Maybe, at 3 AM after driving for 8 hours and I'm exhausted, but frankly, wouldn't trust it enough to actually fall asleep. Do I want my car to shift gears - when it does it faster and better than me - yup. I know several pro and notable race car drivers that love the auto of today on the track. For me, it lets me focus on turning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon View Post
"Now, if you want to complain about something: Lack of ventilated seats. When tracking my car the windows MUST be rolled down, and it's hot outside. I'd like my bootay to not be hot. Vent my BOOTAY "

You just need a cool shirt system! That is what I use when I track my M3. Cooler sits nicely bolted down in the back seat floor. Put on under your fire suit and your good to go!
Cool shirt? I tried taking my shirt off the track, but when they saw my au-natural sweater they told me to put a shirt on or be track banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
^In this case it`s not the weight that makes the difference, but the wheelbase is.

I`ve driven them both, extensively, the M2 is by far the more nimble and agile car, quicker steering reactions. That`s how I want my BMW`s.
THere definitely is a difference. I got to drive M2, M3 Comp and M4 Comp at M Track days and i could clearly tell the difference between M2 and M3/4. However, after coming out of a curve, I felt the lack of power in the M2 made me unhappy - and to me, happiness is key. Others will have different feelings, and thats perfectly fine.

Frankly, I'm happy BMW has different version. Auto, Manual, AWD, RWD and the combinations...something for everyone should be celebrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Manual fans that want an AWD daily with 4-doors are forced to a Golf R or Subaru, now that others are not offering manuals. That is why I bought a Focus RS after they announced they would not make them anymore. I need one AWD car and will only buy a manual. I am not sure why a manufacturer like BMW would not jump on this segment?

I consider myself a die-hard manual fan and do not like seeing it discontinued in the 3 series and only available in the M3 Pure.

YMMV, but owning a manual and driving in heavy traffic has never been a problem for me, only once on a hill in San Francisco moving a couple inches at a time for over an hour did I ever consider not having a 6MT.
It's all about what makes us happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
If the throttle pedal was supposed to be an on/off switch, bmw would have fitted one cos it’s much cheaper. Learn to modulate your throttle and you’ll have all the fun in the world at the track.

Lazy driving is not an excuse.

I’ve driven the M3, regular and ZCP, on track in wet or dry without any problems. Actually was always one of the quicker cars there in the rain, those Cup 2 on Porsche’s are crap in the wet. I have absolutely no idea what you guys are complaining about with lack of rear traction. In fact, it’s still lack of grip at the front which limits track potential.
No need to be inflammatory. I know how to modulate my throttle however, if you can't plant your foot all the way down without causing wheel spin then your car has a traction problem. I've had this occur on speed...Summer, straight line, dry going about 30-50, put foot all the way down and feel a bit of squirrel. Dude, that's not lazy on my part, that just a car that can't handle the power
"Boo" CPO 2006 330xi | Sold
Appreciate 0