View Single Post
      09-18-2019, 09:37 PM   #1146
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceyxi View Post
I have seen one in person at a dealership. Overall I do like the design, but the fake vents annoy me. However, that can be overlooked if it is fun to drive. I did really prefer the looks of the concept car, but it is to be expected that got watered down.

For my point on Tada vs Elon lots of car companies do this and without the full details on what is planned for 2021 its hard to judge. However, if it is similar priced and at the 385 mark that has to specifically sting those that just literally picked up the car. I was under the impression that leading up to the launch Toyota was going to take the 86 approach and not do a significant bump to power. At least the e60 5 was out for a couple of years prior to the 550. I always felt bad for those that got a 2007 530 or 330 when the x35s came out the next year.

The rebadged comments are generally an oversimplification. The use of BMW engine, drivetrain and infotainment do give some validity to the thought though. Personally I don't care as I am more of a Z4 fan than Supra.

For the weaker tech I am specially referring to the difference in power to the Z4. Granted their is some price point consideration, but it does not provide for PR. Personally I would hold judgement until I could drive both. The underrated 335 should be more than enough for most people driving. Which would include myself.
Yeah fake vents are lame, get those power drills ready . Of course the concept looked better as with most concept vs production. I haven't driven one, but most people (minus Chris Harris) have nothing but positive comments. I can't recall any reviews were the tester picked the Z4 over the Supra.

The E60 545i was sold for just two years before BMW introduced the 550i. I also betting that the Supra started production a few months behind the 2019 Z4 due to an agreement made between the two companies. BMW probably wanted the Z4 to have the spotlight and attention. Well that's the differences between BMW and Subaru.

Even with less power I believe all the comparison videos and reviews have the Supra matching or exceeding the Z4's 0-60 and 1/4 mile time.
Appreciate 0