11-25-2016, 08:16 AM   #67
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
All major car manufacturers especially the Germans have followed this "Russian doll" approach for designing their cars, which is understandable since so much money is at stake and a bad selling car can be a threat to the company...

Porsche (and Audi) for example is the biggest culprit making all their designs derivative to the 911. Mercedes still does the Russian Doll design, but have been very successful IMO by making them more "emotional", especially with their gorgeous interiors.

BMW has become much more conservative since the departure of Chris Bangle. And it is understandable for them to continue in this path because they are setting sales records. On the other hand they are more and more in danger of losing their core enthusiasts by becoming a generalistic manufacturer (with their FWD 1 series, their active tourers and GT's). They are walking on a very tight rope right now...

It's kind of ironic that BMW has become the new MB when Mercedes is becoming more and more sports focused with their AMG division and involvement in F1.
I disagree slightly on the Porsche comparison but overall think you nailed it.

BMW wants to simultaneously sell cars to both casual buyers and enthusiasts alike. I think it's clear as to which basket they are putting the majority of their eggs in. The proliferation of the 'M Performance' line has always struck me as a bit desperate. My F30 is covered in the damn stuff and I can't stand it.
Appreciate 0