05-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #3
PersonaNonGrata
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh00t3r View Post
I have some suspicions that a car detailer may have taken a joy ride in my car and am looking for some irrefutable evidence in the form of GPS or mileage history for a specific day. Do I have any options at all or do I chalk this up as a lesson learned? I didn't record the mileage down before I dropped off the car. I also have the Connected app setup properly so I should've known better and periodically checked the location in the app.
That's crappy! At least it wasn't your dad's rare Ferrari 250 GT California that he loves more than you. (Sorry, I couldn't resist dropping that reference.) I think the BMW Connected app does log some location history under the "Destinations" tab. I see a bunch of locations on mine that I did not manually enter as navigation destinations or send to my car via the app and they're kind of randomly listed. When I select any of the locations it sees it as a new potential destination and it gives me an ETA. That might help you show where your car has been but it does not show when your car was at that location.

Aside from that, it's a lesson learned. I have run a dash camera in my past few vehicles and have gone back to watch what the service guys did with my car. Fortunately no joy riding or running errands. It's some extra peace of mind and also good for CYA in the event of a collision. Als, logging your miles or taking a picture of your gauge pod when you drop it off is smart too. I do that with loaner cars and rental cars.

Finally, if you don't trust that shop, time to find a new detailer....
Appreciate 0