01-30-2020, 05:43 AM   #27
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDeac View Post
I'm 1,200 miles in and simply love the car. The "to each their own" thing is always true to an extent, but maybe in the m340i sense it's even more true.

Short of comparing it to a car that costs $30k+ more, I have a complete disconnect with folks who sit in a Giulia or the S5 sportback or the G70 and rate the G20 lower than them. Maybe it's my setup, alpine white, black leather with blue stitching, open pore wood - but even my Mercedes snob friends are impressed. The dash wrapping the screen instead of it looking like someone bolted an iPad to the dash looks infinitely better than most other cars in the class. Overall the tech is excellent, I didn't think I'd touch the auto driving stuff but I use it all the time. I have 2 child seats in the back and in comfort mode it just cruises like some comfy sedan. Then in sport plus the shift choices mimic how I'd drive my old manual 335i, the burbles are aggressive, the power is legitimately exhilarating. The balance is perfect, the ride is firm, steering tightens up nicely. It's just fun, like the "I'd rather order takeout so I can driver there" kind of fun.

The dr. jekyll/mr. hyde aspect is perfect from me, but I definitely get how it could leave both the high-end luxury or the pure sports car folks wanting. Folks solidly on either side will likely get annoyed by the reality that nothing can be everything to everyone.

As an aside, speaking of how opinions can differ... I simply can't believe anyone gets the silver trim in these cars. First time I saw it I thought it looked cheap and horrible. Couldn't believe how often I saw it. But I guess folks love it. I can't relate.
You and I are so aligned on this view, especially how the car is a Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Very well stated.