Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgunfun View Post
I don't expect any huge change under this new guy either.
So much negative to talk about BMW nowadays.
Hope BMW finds its mojo back from the E46, E39 days.
I hope not. G20 and G30 are much better than E46 and E39.
LOL. Thanks for the morning laugh!
From the stand point of driving dynamics, engineering, safety, technology and quality any G-Series BMW will be leagues above any E-series BMW conceived 20-25 years ago.

Who wants to deal with leaky power steering hoses and failed power steering pumps?
You also have to consider weight and size. Larger, heavier cars do not handle as well. And in terms of feel, the electric steering, as yet, cannot match the feel of hydraulic steering. And of course those older naturally aspirated inline 6's were a gem. Maybe BMW's turbos don't have as much turbo lag as others', but they still have turbo lag, and sometimes it shows up when you really need instant boost.

The safety, technology and quality, of course, is worlds ahead.
But the added weight gives those 5 star NCAP ratings.

People demand multiple passive and active safety systems that did not exist or were widely available 20+ years ago.

People want and demand technology in the form of electronic gizmos and infotainment systems which add weight, complexity and cost.

People demand and experience silent cabins so there are added materials and weight.

I honestly don't believe that BMW would be able to sell today an E46 or E39 in their original release state. At least not to a wider audience.
Yeah but the 500 or so E chassis diehards (including me) that lurk on this forum would buy them in a flat second. Isn't that enough for it to make financial sense for BMW?
We all wish right?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0