02-13-2020, 09:59 AM   #13
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
That specific location is because it doesn't have gps signal--you can double tap the silence button for it to learn that location, and when i do it says no GPS. I wonder if it's because i'm heading out of a garage and it needs a few minutes to lock onto a gps signal? Will see how it goes now that i'm looking at the speed via GPS which should indicate whether gps signal is there.
The garage (or anything else impeding a clear shot at the sky) can definitely impede any satellite reception. This happens often to me with SiriusXM, even simple car wash bays will shut down the radio. Less noticable with radar detectors maybe unless, like you said, there happens to be a recurring signal within site while under the garage or bay roof.

If it's showing the speed limit while driving, the GPS is working. If it's taking more than a few seconds to engage GPS with a clear shot to the sky, then maybe I would contact support. If the location is locked out, but the GPS is temporarily unavailable, it will alert because of course without GPS it is then unaware where the detector is and can't associate with the lockout -- the No GPS message is just alerting to that condition. This has happened a few times over the years with my 9500ix -- for whatever reason satellite reception was briefly disrupted when I entered the car to leave, and it started alerting at a grocery store that I visit a couple of times a week.

I'm not sure if there's any way the BMW nav system or other electronics could interfere with GPS reception to the radar detector? I'm guessing the satellite antenna on the G20 is in the shark fin near the rear window, so it seems unlikely.
Appreciate 0