Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
What I meant was that people are not gonna go out and shoot a new photo every time. As for learning stuff, I can't say I have learned anything from these contests. I enter them for fun and that's it. Did I learn something from the photo forum? yes. From these contest threads? no.
ok well I'm a visual learner and when I see shots posted in say an architecture themed contest, I look at what themes/concepts are prevalent and try to emulate them with my own style/twist. When I need to shoot something in the dark, I learn how to properly light it with a flash. When I need to submit a photo like a long exposure inside a moving car or something like that... I'm learning and gaining more and more experience behind the camera by trying them.

I think for the most part (which is just saying most people, not everyone) have to travel a step or two out of their comfort zone of what they've done before to do a lot of these themes which is where most learning and experience is gained.

If these contests are challenging you AT ALL then my questions for you are 1. Why haven't you been consistently winning all of them and 2. Why haven't you suggested anything more challenging? If you can't give a good reason for either of those then maybe you're not trying hard enough to put your best work possible out there.

I'm not trying to sound high and mighty about it, hell I know I still have lots of learning to do and I've shot professionally for 2 years for pay. I'm just saying maybe your idea of the contests or the seriousness of which you partake in them isn't as high as it should be to get something out of them.

I know everyone isn't gonna submit something brand new every contest... I was busy last month and posted an older image myself (though I re-edited it). But if you're not shooting a new image every 2-3 contests then you're either too good of a photog and should be dominating or your not trying hard enough.

Just my .$02... good luck on this one everyone. I'll be sure to vote for any that don't contain any children.
Appreciate 0