Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
you dont think 68.5 billion euros is not that big of a gap? ... This also means BMW has a lot less room for mistakes.
Read my post again: 'By some measures'. By some other measures, Daimler is five to six times larger than BMW Group. BMW Group is essentially a small automaker compared to some of the big 'uns like Daimler, GM, Ford, FCA Italy, TMC, Honda, and VW AG -- seven behemoths that are leaps and bounds larger than BMW. And folks wonder why automakers both large and small are starting to partner to develop new technologies?

The gross-revenue figure helps demonstrate that by somewhat strict automotive measures, BMW is only half the size of Daimler. Yet it's having to play the big boys' games. So, yes: not much room for mistakes. And: that's why BMW is hedging its bets with products that satisfy lower common denominators and leave enthusiasts such as us wondering where our Exx M3s went. It's survival, in a game where it can't make many mistakes.
I would love to hear by which measures...

BMW and Mercedes are the same size companies, Daimler is a bit bigger (~30%) but that's not important since they run few pretty much independent businesses, they all require their own separate R&D budgets. Tomorrow they can decide to split the company and Mercedes would be by far the largest one of them.

Mercedes does not have any advantage to BMW when it comes to money and how much they can invest.
Appreciate 0