02-17-2024, 12:52 PM   #13
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doey View Post
Hey M340i, thanks so much for your detailed post as I was looking for someone's feedback as I'm trying to make the same decision as you!

I have a 2023 M340i and I've been flipping back and forth between MHD and JB4 on 93 petrol only (98RON). I'm hoping to get your opinion on whether the pros of the MHD is worth it for my use.

I'll be only using the car as a daily and I never intend to track it. I previously had an 2018 audi s3 stage 2 tuned, so I don't actually know what a piggyback feels like. Having said that my s3 was very responsive and I could get power very quickly whenever I needed it.
Currently the stock car feels a lot heavier and less zippy than my S3, I'm hoping to get some consistent power in.

Cost:
JB4 = AUD $4200 ($1100 jb4 wireless + $2500 AA DP +600 xHP trans flash)
MHD = AUD$5100-$5600 (Femto unlock $2000 + $1700 Racewerks downpipe + $840 MHD licence + 600 xHP trans flash)

one of the minor benefits of JB is being able to remove the piggy back if needed and recouping that value down the track as a resell...the inconvenience of sending it off to FEMTO doesnt bother me that much.

My main deciding factors would be:
- More power delivered in a comfortable drive. For example, I can't tolerate the stock Sport plus mode because it shifts way too hard and is way too jerky.

What do you mean by the mhd having more consistent power? I'm not planning to ever track or launch it...just some spirited driving. If I put my foot down on the pedal, would you notice any lag, jerkiness or inconsistent power delivery difference between the [...]
Sorry for the late response my friend. So you are very similar to my situation. I use it as a daily just like you. I don’t ever want to take it to track. I want to keep the car for a long time. Like, over 5 years. It wa so sweet to begin with (stock), but now with dp and tune, got a little sweeter.

So when I flashed the car it was raining bullets in Los Angeles area. On a e40 tune car was getting to 45 with literally just a tap. I was giddy, but careful. After the rain was over i did a roll from 45 mph, about 60-70 percent. Rear broke loose like crazy.

Yes the car feels so linear. Instant power from 0. Just like how you would feel going from comfort to sport plus. Now imagine the sport plus becomes plus plus. Or a bit more! To me that describes it the best. Very oem like power.

I know femto charges heavy money…. So I don’t want to rush to tell you to do it. If yours was pre femto then I would have strongly told you to do it lol!!

But way i see is now i have a different car. Much faster than stock. Not to mention i don’t have to worry about it varying or wondering. There is no doubt about it. With jb4, it always makes you wonder “did it kick in yet? A little bit? Oh i feel some now but I don’t later”. It varies a lot. Not to mention that it has a cap where as tune has that cap moved to a higher place.

My hp tq screen now reads 560/640 respectively lol.

A good chance that my car is a mid 11 sec car or better. Might be quicker than your wonderful previous s3.

Hope this helps, ill update my experience as i go. Ill get back quicker next time lol.

Last edited by M340i Pride; 02-20-2024 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0