07-27-2020, 06:13 PM   #21
farishat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 330i ZHP, 2024 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChOy BoY View Post
Firstly, I want to thank Josh for working with me on this exhaust. My good friend had an AWE exhaust on his F80, and I loved it..and when I heard AWE was working on one for the M340 I knew I had to have it. I decided to order the AWE Touring Non-Resonated Exhaust with Diamond Black tips(even though I have an aftermarket downpipe, and they suggested getting resonated). Josh worked with me to make sure I got it on time and had ample time to post a review and pictures and videos for everyone to see/hear. The exhaust has been on the car almost a full 2 weeks now, so it’s still not quite broken in yet.

Anyway, let’s get to the install. AWE packaged everything extremely nicely and even included a blow pop in the black diamond tips box..which I ate during the installation haha. Taking the exhaust out of the box you were able to tell they did a great job producing the exhaust as all the parts were made very nicely and also had their logo placed nicely as well on different areas of the exhaust. It came in pieces, and I was able to fit the whole box in my car with my backseats down. It was a tight fit but I got it to work(I would suggest taking it out of the box if driving it somewhere for install).

The install went fairly smoothly, I had a few friends at Alex@ONEighty help install it for me on their lift, shout out to them for helping me out as always. I think the biggest issue was just trying to make sure everything aligned correctly and we had watched the helpful installation video. AWE made a nice DIY video so if you weren’t a professional at doing it, watching the video is a big help. I think the part that took the longest was fitting the midpipe section correctly and making sure it wasn’t too low or hitting anything, but we got it on successfully with no major issues. I thought the look and the fitment on the exhaust was good, not perfectly OEM but good enough where parts aren’t hanging or not fitting properly. The parts that had me looking at the install the most was that when the pieces aren’t tightened, it just looks like the exhaust isn’t going to fit very well..but once tightened, everything falls into place and aligns nicely.

I think the part we spent working on the most was trying to extend the tips properly to my liking and make sure both sides were as even as possible. The tips are adjustable so if you want them in more you could push them in more or push them out more if you want. I went for them to be out more because I did like the aggressive look and being able to see the AWE logo on the top of the tips.

Here’s my pictures of the exhaust, comparison to stock, and then installed on the car.

Here are some pictures of it on the car:

Now for the most important part..driving impressions. The second we turned the car on after the install it sounded AMAZING. I was shocked at how throaty and deep the exhaust sounded on the cold start, and a fair warning, the cold start is LOUD(I will include a video of one). Keep in mind this isn't the suggested AWE setup as they would suggest a resonated exhaust to pair with a downpipe. I felt that I could always get non resonated and if I didn't like it, add the resonators later.

After everything warms up and even in sport, the exhaust becomes a lot quieter, but you can still hear it rumbling which sounds awesome. It's definitely loud to have the non-resonated with the downpipe, and there is some slight drone IF you're in sport plus and around 3K RPM and just accelerating. However, it's not terrible and it was something I would've been prepared for with this setup. In sport plus, you really hear the burbles and pops of the downpipe, paired with the deep and mean sound of the exhaust. And at WOT you can really hear it when you shift, I drive around now mostly in sport plus and it definitely turns heads and pops a lot on downshifts(I don't have a gunshot tune).

I was also surprised that even though there are no valves, the 180 technology Josh told me about to prevent drone does work very well. If I put the car in any other mode beside sport, you don't get the super loud burbles and pops of the downpipe, but still hear the mean and throaty sound of the exhaust, which is more ideal if I want to try to stay quieter and not so loud. My one wish was that this exhaust would've been valved like they did on the F80; as I'd rather be able to completely close the valves if I want the car to be super quiet. But for now going into eco/comfort and not revving really high will do. I included a video as well, of me revving in comfort versus sport plus. The car sounds the same revving wise in sport plus versus regular sport, so I didn't take a video of that.

I want to take better videos eventually, but I ran into a coding issue with my car recently and wasn't able to find the time to get better videos, but I put together what I have for now. To be honest, the videos don't do the exhaust justice at ALL, the videos versus what it sounds like in person doesn't compare.

All in all, I love the exhaust, I love the quality and the sound of it, and I'm honestly happy I went with the non-resonated instead of resonated. This is my first AWE exhaust I've had, and the sound and look of the quad black tips changes the whole car for me. It was my most anticipated mod that I've done to the car since I got it. Please hit up Josh/AWE if you are interested in a purchase!

Sport Plus Rev:

Comfort Mode Rev:

Sport Plus Drive by:

Cold Start:

sounds like a lawn mower
Appreciate 1
siegester341.00