Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by apascutia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loma View Post
Has anyone seen a video that shows what @apascutia wrote?
Jason Cammisa (great automotive journalist) on Instagram commented that he felt the powertrain in the X3M felt laggy. Other journalists are saying that it's easy to catch it off guard if it's in manual mode at a lower RPM. The turbo lag is very apparent if that's done. Don't quote me on this, but I heard it's because they upped the boost in the turbochargers and reduced the compression ratio. It might be tuned differently in the M3, though. I personally think that this engine sounds fantastic in comparison to the S55. Sounds much more natural. I'm greatly anticipating this new M3!
If I wanted a great sounding engine with a mediocre gearbox and average driving dynamics I'd pick a C63.

Sorry but there are zero positives that come with a ZF box on the iconic M3 - except to BMWs bottom line.
The strong counter point you are missing is the significant improvement in around town drivability that the zf brings over dct. (Where these cars generally spend most of their lives) The only real question is actual track performance, If the lap times would be the same with either transmission it's hard to make a good argument for dct. I haven't seen any strong data points that a dct would drive a measurable laptime improvement over the zfat.

Dct leads zfat in "because racecar" feel and swagger for sure. Which in all fairness does matter to some but I doubt bmw felt that the case was compelling especially with the manual available for the traditionalist.
Appreciate 0