10-02-2018, 02:25 PM   #39
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
I don't think you quite understand what I'm saying. I personally will not buy the G20 if there is no manual option. I'm saying that if there are NO manual RWD sedans for sale, then you have to pick an automatic which allows you to choose between more cars. The F30 was not a very special car but a lot of manual die-hards bought them because it was one of the last high powered RWD sedans with a manual. If BMW ditches that option, then what's stopping those people (and me) from shopping elsewhere? Unless the G20 comes closer to Alfa Giulia levels of driving dynamics, you might as well cross shop MB, Audi, Lexus, and maybe even Genesis now.

If I'm not mistaken, there are plenty of bikes your friend can choose from so there's no reason to buy a car if he doesn't want to.
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. If you put a "must have" restriction on anything you're obviously restricting your choices and if you lift that restriction, your choices obviously increase. For example, had I lifted the restriction that my manual car should be a luxury high powered sports sedan, then I would've had other many other options besides the F80. So my point was your "more choices" point is a moot point and I was being sarcastic about it with the bike analogy.

I am one of those manual buyers who will consider other brands if BMW ditches so I know where you're coming form. However, BMW has obviously concluded that the cost/benefit favors ditching and they have accepted that a few people may shop elsewhere and your "threat" that you may choose another brand falls on deaf ears.
Appreciate 0