View Single Post
      02-05-2019, 06:53 PM   #17
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceramic Rabbit View Post
Aren't those both on the same CLAR architecture?
Yes. So the question is, is this CLAR (CLAR-WE actually, as it is now evolving toward) or a brand new dedicated electric-only platform?

There has been suggestion that this vehicle will be built on the latter, but I am skeptical. BMW has made it very clear that it intends to build multiple electric models on CLAR-WE because that greatly lowers their risk. A new “skateboard” platform would be great too, but that’s going to cause costs to explode at a time when they really need to keep them firmly in check.

As pointed out by another member above, this looks like it could essentially be an iX5, and that would make sense both from a cost and marketing perspective. Perhaps it will feature more unique body work or other content/features than the iX3 and i4 will vs. the X3 and 4er respectively, but in any case an electric X5 would seem to be a very attractive offering. Throw in the Level 3 autonomy we know this vehicle will offer, and you have a winner.

Edit:

As I think a bit more about it, I gravitate toward the name "iX8" as a good possibility for this vehicle's production name. It is different enough from the X5 or X7 that neither it nor they would likely be best served by this being slotted into those existing products' hierarchies. By instead using the currently untapped "X8" moniker, it can be freed to take its own styling and technology direction without creating any confusion.

Now, it's true that it does not have the signature fastback styling that the X4 and X6 have. However, if we look at the X2 and how it compares to the X1, this could take a similar place in the lineup compared to the X7.

Plus, it will be the flagship SUV, so it really deserves top billing. And finally, BMW officials have already commented publicly on an X8 being a good possibility for a future product. This could be what they have in mind. Of course, being purely electric, this would obviously be called the iX8, but that does not preclude the possibility of standard X8 ICE or PHEV models which share many physical attributes with this EV flagship.
Appreciate 0