View Single Post
      02-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #449
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpagianotto View Post
This car would have made perfect sense if it was RWD. That way BMW would have the FWD 1er sedan, for people that want a more practical compact sedan, and the 2er GC would be for people that are more interested in driving dynamics, even if it costs a little extra over the 1er, but don't want a car as big as the new 3er. Keeping the RWD platform would have opened the 2er GC to 6-cyl engines, which I'm sure would've been appreciated as well.

As it is, there's just too much overlap between the 1er sedan and this 2er GC.

Let's not forget that BMW is already developing the small version of the RWD platform for the 2er coupe. So there wouldn't have been any significant additional development costs to have the 2er GC use the RWD platform as well. This switch to FWD platform is only good for cost cutting (which ultimately only benefits BMW, and not the customers).

Mercedes will have the A-Class sedan and the CLA, which are almost identical and equally pointless to me. And I also thought that the 4er GC and 3er GT were pointless too, although the 4er GC at least looked good.
Amen. A RWD based 2GC would've been the perfect daily for me, right in time for when I'd be looking for my 328's replacement.

It sucks.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 1