View Single Post
      06-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I have a B9 SQ5 which is practically the same thing as the S4. I had the B8.5 SQ5 as well. I agree the D mode driving experience is not good. S mode is better so I drive mostly in S and say to hell with the mpg. The turbo lag is overall pretty bad though. Torque is really an on/off switch and a difficult power curve to enjoy. It's so on/off that you quickly (after lag) blast into this huge torque wave that just unsettles the whole experience but then just as quickly peaks or dies or something. Like they tuned it to hold it back and sap any excitement of linear increasing power.

HOWEVER, the transmission/power tune is my only complaint. Ok the steering sucks but it's an Audi so you know that going in. Transmission in manual mode works very well and the rest of the car is phenomenal. With sport pack big brakes, 21" wheels the looks can kill. Rear trim that people see as fake exhaust is NBD and you don't have to clean exhaust tips. Exhaust sound is lovely with some good barks thrown in. Interior is f'ing incredible in Napa quilted leather with carbon trim. And the air suspension (not on S4), I am confident is hands down the best suspension you can spec on this range SUV. Always uber comfortable, handles well with a tight front end and corners flatter than I would expect. Rear sport diff is able to put power through both rear wheels noticeably well.

So I've learned to like this flawed Audi and leased it over X3 M40i because I got it for $100/mo less at the time but I won't be sad to see it go when lease is up August 2020. X3M is probably next up for me and in the mean time we ordered an M340i for the wife. Didn't even bother to check out the S4.
Appreciate 1