SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR33R View Post
Your battery would be in the boot I would think.
The stop start function is a battery and starter killer . I never use it, just in case you think you save on fuel, you don't.
The function saves very little fuel on the Dyno when they test them for fuel consumption, in real life you don't save any especially with air con on.
Correct. The battery is in the boot, but you shouldn’t charge it directly.
BMW have gone to the trouble of providing charging points under the bonnet (left hand side of the engine bay) and recommend battery charging be implemented through these points. This is to save the cars electronics.

The IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) I’d located on the negative battery terminal of the battery. There is a risk that this sensor can be damaged if you charge the battery directly, due to the variation in voltage charge rates during external battery charging. Thus, the use of the terminals under the bonnet is the BMW recommended method of charging the battery (and also jump starting the car).

Last edited by SteveAus; 01-13-2021 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: Additional Info
Appreciate 0