02-15-2020, 09:34 AM   #52
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
Thank you for all your helpful suggestions & advice. Narrowed it down to the Golf GTI, Mazda 3 hatcback vs Mini cooper S 4 door. (in that order)

Any current/prior owners of these vehicles have any opinions? The GTI is such a fun daily driver...dare I say-even more enjoyable than my 330i. Doesn't lease that well but may just finance it.

Also, honest opinion here after 10,000 miles and don't crucify me but..as much as i love the 330i...the more cars i test drive...the less satisfying i find the steering. BMW just can't figure out EPS for some reason. Don't get me wrong- the chassis/suspension, etc. is on another level compared to the competition...but god damn, why can't they just give us a non twitchy/super smooth/linear/well weighted steering?
Alpinewhite3, between those for ME I would pick the GTI, however if its your wife's car the Mazda3 gets my vote. The car is just a touch softer feeling than the prior generation, and while the prior generation has a bit more of a driver's feel it has no power compared to the GTI. The feel of the new Mazda3 and the full suite of luxury features including adaptive cruise standard makes it unbeatable from a value perspective IMHO.

My wife always wanted a Mini but everytime she tried one she found something to hold her back, be it on space, ergonomics or perceived reliability. Very curious what you end up pulling the trigger on!
Appreciate 0