View Single Post
      08-29-2019, 08:47 AM   #16
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

I was ready for a new phone, and I switched from Android to an iPhone 7 because I had recently bought my 2017 M3 and ordered it with CarPlay in anticipation for the switch. After pairing up the phone, my call quality was complete garbage, so much static. I also couldn't stand that every time I used the phone, the screen on the car would mirror the app I was using. Also bugged me that I couldn't read my own text messages on the car screen. I understand the reason for this, but I'm not at all interested in my text messages being read out in front of my passengers and then dictating my response like a robot. About the only thing I liked about CarPlay was the integration with my music apps.

After a few months I couldn't tolerate the call quality anymore, so I switched back to Android and connected it as a media device and my experience has been flawless ever since. I'm not saying CarPlay is dumb, but it definitely wasn't for me. About the only thing I miss is the audio integration, but giving my phone to a passenger or changing the artist at a stoplight isn't really that annoying, and I just skip through tracks using the more basic interface.

I enjoy my car much more now because of it. CarPlay may be important to a lot of people, but it's far from everything. If it was up to me, I'd get rid of the screen entirely. Leave the tech to the tech companies, in my opinion. A well integrated docking solution would go so much farther and be less obsolete going forward.
Appreciate 0