07-22-2019, 07:05 PM   #58
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3; g30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA570 View Post
I can say my wife (who barely drives 5k mile/yr) loves her Lexus. I drive it more than she does and I can tell you, this Rx (our 4th one) is our last one. Driving dynamics are awkward, somehow it oversteers AND understeers (don't ask me how), driving feel is worse than the last iteration in smoothness, feels nose-heavy, has soft brake feel.
Certainly not like ANY BMW I've ever owned.
My wifes loves her Lexus SUV too, and I can see why. It's not a handler, but it drives effortlessly (as long as you aren't throwing it around corners at 50mph) and loves soaking up bumps on freeways.

I do call BS on over-steering though. I've never seen it oversteer. It is a perpetual under-steerer, in every situation. And there is a simple solution for that: slow-down... I drive like a grandma in my wife's SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I won't disagree with you on the dealership aspect as that goes all the way back to the beginning as they knew that for them to break into the luxury market that the dealership experience needed to be as good or better than the Germans or they would be considered another Acura (where people go to get really nice Hondas, not real luxury cars). I kind of feel this CarWow comparison hits the nail on the head regarding Lexus in general compared to German rivals. Well made, reliable but soft, and a some typical Japanese oddball execution and poor infotainment system.

This is an odd comparison. Why are they comparing a FWD Japanese car against all RWD/AWD German cars? They should've picked the GS to go against the Germans. I am not saying it would have come out ahead, but the selection of cars seems unfair.

It does have some valid points though. The infotainment UI is non-intuitive to put it mildly. It doesn't accelerate or corner as well. We may call it "soft", but they are thinking "comfortable".

Yes, I get it. There is a reason why we drive BMWs. But to ignore all the Lexus brand loyalists and to brand them as idiots isn't exactly constructive. They also have perfectly valid reasons why they keep purchasing Lexus with their hard-earned money, just as we do.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00