View Single Post
      04-13-2019, 11:36 PM   #34
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Also, you yourself mentioned you refused to believe that competitors created a better steering system, but why? Its been known that BMW has had trouble creating a good EPS system for years now, multiple reviews, motorists, forum members and even owners, have stated that companies such as Alfa, Porsche, Ford, Mazda, and even Mercedes have been able to tune their EPS systems better than BMW, heck there's even a thread on the F30 page with people talking about how the Civic has better steering, why is it so hard to believe that the competition has better steering? Have you driven one?
Other cars I've driven with an eps rack have had similar characteristics as far as I can tell. There are differences in resistance and simulated feel, but none have the tactile feedback that a good hydraulic system can provide. I'd heard the Chevy ss eps system touted as one of the better ones in its time, yet I didn't see it as being a major departure from other eps systems. It might have been slightly better than the early f30s, but it wasn't night and day to me, and I cant imagine anyone would mistake it for having a hydraulic rack.

Maybe others have figured it out. There's nothing wrong with optimism. I've heard conflicting things on the Porsche eps racks. I have t driven one, so I can't give my impressions. It's funny though because the Porsche eps gets touted as one of, if not, the best on other car forums, but it doesn't seem to get the same praise by Porsche aficionados. As with bmw drivers, there are many long time Porsche drivers who lament the switch from hydraulic to eps. I've also seen members on other car forums naming bmw as one of the manufacturers who "got their eps systems right", or at least better than many others. It's like the grass is greener on the other side, but in reality, current eps, in general, is a noticeable departure from hps. This might change one day, or perhaps eps will even surpass what the best hps systems could do. Maybe newcomers will be the ones to lead that technological achievement, but until then, I think eps racks are more similar than different among different manufacturers.
Appreciate 0