06-04-2019, 03:46 PM   #555
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Again - YMMV, but I agree with most of the handling concerns when putting a car on a racetrack, but let's be honest, nearly no one does that. Running around town, or even through curvy mountain roads, I've found my Cooper S to be nearly as entertaining as my Ferrari for a fraction of the cost. The BMW didn't even compare to either of them.

With respect to repairing - I don't typically do any major repairs myself on my cars, but for minor things like fluid changes, belts and hoses, and plugs, coils, and things like that, I've found that the BMW was as complicated and sometimes more so than any FWD car I've owned.

Don't get me wrong - I love RWD cars and still think the 360, my past Miata, and old Alfa spider were probably the most fun cars I've ever owned. That said, don't discount FWD 'just because'. It has it's place too and can be a blast on the right platform.

Heck - I'd reckon to say that a Fiesta ST is more fun on the streets and maybe even on a track than a modern 3 series BMW.
You make some valid points and I see why you have no issues with FWD. But for me I do track my car and also perform all my own maintenance so that's why I feel that way. I would have to disagree on the curvy road part, at least with the FWD cars I have driven, but they were also 90's cars(Integras, Civics...) and I haven't driven any new performance FWD vehicles so you may be correct. All good, we all have our own preferences.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00