View Single Post
      01-07-2020, 06:53 AM   #8
Jebk
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire330e View Post
So I’ve upped mine to 10amp for home charging. House is a shambles from top to bottom in terms of electrics and plumbing (short term convenience rental)... worse case was it’d blow the electrics in a house we’re not fussed for, I’d play dumb and the landlord would sort it... nothing has happened.

It charges fine without any issues. I charge it most weekends two or three times and occasionally during the week if I’ve driven far enough between charges at work (official free to use Pod-Points at work).
I fully expected issues or it at least to trip the fuse box or something - nothing has happened at all. Appreciate this sounds a little risky but am confident where any wiring concerned is remote enough in a cold, stone cellar (lead to car is run through an air brick I removed and re-cemented around the cable to outside) and there is only so much that can happen! Charges a lot faster on 10amp than 6, was hardly worth bothering on 6!

One young electrician with all the recent training and qualifications doing some lighting work for me suggested that and another older more experienced one has seen it since and didn’t even raise an eyebrow... his dismissal of it being an issue was enough for me!

Don’t get me wrong, if I owned this house I’d have had a PodPoint put in as soon as I got the car, but we don’t intend staying long and it wasn’t worth the investment...
Not to be that guy, but worst case is underspecced wires over heat, start a fire and burn down the house killing you and your family.

I'd agree you're probably fine but equally I'd not chance it.
Appreciate 0