The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Slightly off topic....but, how does the power of the m340i compare to your f80 power? I'm actually in a position to either pull the trigger on an m340i or wait it out for the new M3 in another year or so. In as much detail as possible, how does the m340i pull compared to your f80?
While the m340i is fast, it's not as fast as the M3, of course. As well, it's a different power delivery. The m340i is very smooth in power delivery - you barely feel it - I was at 100 mph and engine was turning at 2,250 rpms! However, the M3 is very raw in its power delivery. When driving the M3, you feel that you ALWAYS want to go fast - the car encourages you to continuously go faster. The m340i can be a cruiser or it can speed down the road. Although, I haven't really opened up the m340i, as it only has 250 miles on it. Before my M3, I had a F10 550i. I feel that the m340i is similar in power delivery and comfort to the 550i, yet doesn't feel as big and heavy.

The cars are quite different. The M3 wasn't my daily driver - it would have been difficult for me to drive it everyday. Bumps in the road are felt through your body! Everytime I approached a bump or pothole, I would tense up waiting to feel it. The m340i is a lot more forgiving going over bumps. Of course, you sacrifice handling, compared to the M3. But, as a daily driver, definitely the m340i. As a fun, intoxicating power, great handler, a bit obnoxious weekend car...then the M3.

I feel that the connection one would get with these cars is lost, unfortunately. While the F80 was fun and fast, there just wasn't a connection, like BMWs of past. As well, less of a connection with the G20; you just feel isolated from everything. The sounds coming from the exhaust sound fake. It's just not the same experience. Which is likely why I was considering the Audi. I have an e46 330ci (my daily driver) - it's slow, technology isn't the same, but there's a connection.

Don't get me wrong, I like the G20 for what it is - fast, decent handling, comfort, very nice interior, tech is fantastic. But, I don't like it for what BMW has lost - that connected feeling to the car. Unfortunately, I think that's lost forever, as technology overtakes these cars.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I know the f80 is faster, I just didn't know how much faster and if the power delivery felt different.
Appreciate 0