06-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #7
bonsai
OG 3er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3/2018 F82 M4 Compet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
That may be it, but here in the US and I am sure in most industrialized nations, the legal implications of autonomous driving are far and wide. The technology might be there and the will but the US is not ready to support self driving cars. Our roads are in state of disrepair and again the legal implications I am sure keep most auto executives up at night including Musk.

With 42 million unemployed in the US, and counting, worst numbers since the depression of the early 1930s, worst pandemic in a century and a volatile and charged political, racial and civil climate, trust me, car autonomy is the last of our worries at the moment.
Agreed it's not superfluous but it's also a long term investment before any real returns are seen.

Oems and startups are optimizing their spend these days to focus on nearer term projects that can net them the cash flow they need to continue to fund adas technologies.

Doesn't mean they don't care or its not important. It just makes business sense to reduce cash burn in areas that won't return profit for a long time.
Appreciate 2