View Single Post
      12-31-2013, 04:50 AM   #58
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

You just explained why dilution will kill the "real" ///M cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis911 View Post
The problem is: The "diluted M" stuff sells! And it sells good. From what I can see on Euro Forums and on the streets, the M135i is a massive success and gives the S3 a run for it's money (I am gonna exclude the AMG here since it is massively more expensive).
The fact is this: people (most of them anyways) who spend close to 50.000€ or even more for a car want to feel like they own something special. And since special means a lot of things to a lot of people, a lot of people just feel special when they can say they own an M135i or an S3 and not just any old BMW 1 series or Audi A3. People want to buy an experience that goes along with the product and the M name just suggests more of that experience. I can understand that sentiment, even if it is not at all my cup of tea.
Furthermore (and for now) it gives BMW or the M GmbH "light" the possibility to sell AWD cars under the M "umbrella" that are not SUVs/SAVs. (And it is another fact, that the marketplace is moving towards AWD cars. And, again just a feeling, the M135i x drive seems to sell GOOD)
I also do not like the fact that BMW sticks the M logo around like Audi does with it's S-Line badges, but again: people buy it and like it and if they don't, they have a nice option to throw out the M badges.
I am a diehard BMW fan (I even had a job interview at the promised land, the M GmbH; sadly did not make it) and I definitely agree with your statement that the M is being diluted to a certain extent, but, to say it plainly: you have to milk the cow! (without overdoing it, of course. But I believe that, for now, BMW is doing a good job at not overdoing it)
Appreciate 0