View Single Post
      04-14-2020, 01:24 PM   #19
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

I got the tips off. I’m surprised that it wasn’t too difficult. I didn’t use a mallet or any tools. I wore a pair of thick gloves to protect my fingers. Grabbed the tips from behind on both sides. Some hard pulling and wiggling of the tips and they came right off!

I’ve cleaned the tips pretty decently. But it’s too cold outside to spray paint it. I did some reading and everyone mentioned spray painting when the outside temps are 60-70F and it isn’t too humid in order to help the paint bond better. Unfortunately, it’s 35F outside. So yes. Looks like I’ll be running tip-less for a few days/weeks. Car definitely looks weird without the tips. Thank god I don’t see it when I’m driving or when it’s parked in the garage (since I back it up into the garage).

My plan is to spray three coats, bake it (in an old toaster oven that I have and won’t be using again) and repeat it till I have 9 coats of paint. I’m curious to see how that holds up wrt peeling and chipping.

I’ll post the outcome when I’m done with the project. For now, the tips are clean and shiny (I used a Brillo pad to remove soot, tar and dirt from the outside). I have a few cans of Krylon high heat max paint (in gloss black) that can withstand up to 600F continuously and 1200F intermittently. I’m hoping that that should last three years without peeling
Attached Images

2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0