06-05-2017, 11:40 AM   #36
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
My father has a 2013 GC Trailhawk with the 5.7L Hemi. Has a little over 90k miles on it, and he bought it new. It needed a water pump at about 85k miles, which seems common among the 5.7, but it was very easy/cheap to replace. He beats the snot out of it too. Tows a dump trailer every other weekend that weighs 2500lbs empty. It has the quadra-lift air suspension which makes a huge difference in ride quality over the standard suspension option. He was T-boned in the driver's door by a Tacoma about a year ago at an intersection, and felt very safe. Jeep was repaired and has been fine since.

Jeeps and BMWs are similar maintenance wise. Some go a long way with very little care, others are disasters. My family has owned Grand Cherokees for years. They are similar to BMWs in that the dealers are pretty useless, and DIYing your own maintenance can save a lot of headache.

The rule with Chryslers is to never buy a first year redesign. Wait a few model years after the new design and it is usually fine. My GF's parents have a 2011 GC and it has the same mileage my dad's does and it has had a few strange problems. Jeeps in general though are much cheaper to fix than German cars. My dad owned a '99 Grand Cherokee Limited, then a 2009 Benz GL450. The GL450 had constant electrical issues. His current 2013 Grand Cherokee has been flawless in comparison.
The Hemi's I believe were more reliable than the Pentastars.....but the 2013's were much more reliable that 2011s....and the 2014 refreshes had problems. My water pump went at 30000 miles, replaced under warranty.

The only other "common" issues was the TIPM recall.