View Single Post
      12-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #1
G20.rjm
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Family locked in car - 330i

My 330i has comfort access with automatic locking enabled. Yesterday we stopped on a family road trip and I got out to buy something at a shop. I forgot that the key was in my pocket and the car locked. It was 35 degrees celsius (95F). I heard the car lock and stopped, luckily, waiting for the family to follow me but they were trapped inside. They were unable to open the rear or front doors using the handles. My 13 year old reached forward and pressed the unlock button on my door - nothing. The car was totally deadlocked.

I unlocked the car with the key and everyone was a bit panicked. I got them out, got in and had them take the key and lock the door to test this. No matter what I tried, I could not get out.

This is a ridiculous safety hazard. If I had not stopped to let them out, the temperature in the car car would have risen 20 degrees in 10 minutes and kept rising. This could have killed them.

What if they key fobs battery dies when we are all in the car? The car might no longer detect the key as soon as we turn off the vehicle and lock us in.

Is there any way to disable this insane "feature"?

In the interim, I'll be disabling the autolock feature.
Appreciate 0