View Single Post
      07-18-2022, 02:05 PM   #22
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
There are a couple of things at play with regards to automaker recommendations.

No 1:. They want the owner to take time to become familiar with the vehicle and how it drives.

No 2: Legal liability - This should be obvious. They won't recommend a break in process which could injure the driver.

No 3: Warranty - Same as number 2 above but they don't want new owners damaging the vehicle.

No 4 -. For decades the manufacturing process has resulted in tighter tolerances and is much cleaner (less residues left behind).

I've owned a handful of BMWs over my lifetime and the ones which I didn't break-in always burned oil (Apparently my M54 was always going to burn oil due to a design issue).

My two cents.
Same with me. The BMW designers in Regensburg told me once the engine is up to temp, pedal to the metal, let cool down, pedal to the metal. I've done all my new cars and bikes like this and not a one had ever burned a drop of oil, even though BMW's are known for burning some oil.

All the used cars I've owned burned oil. Probably babied during break in. You do want to take it easy on the brakes and tires during break-in though.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3574.50