Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Alpina D5S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkSinatra View Post
I've done the first reading of car ECU last Saturday, and Tuesday Alex told me they were working on my tune.

Don't know if getting the stage 2 makes a difference in working time, as you got the stage 1.

Definitely going to give him a call tomorrow, but is always complicated as I'm in Europe with a 9 hour difference time shift.
Allow me to speculate (key word here is speculate)

I'm guessing you have the very latest rev of software loaded in your car and this is what Alex is working on. I say this because I know all the tunes (Stage 1, Stage2, Custom) are ready to go and the Stage 1 and 2 are just phenomenal (I've been fortunate enough to experience both)

Let me explain what I mean on a very simple level, simple because that's my level of understanding and it took me a while to get my head wrapped around it. This because in my 30+ years of car ownership I had grown accustom to thinking a different way when it came to playing around with my cars ECU/DMEs

In years past cars ecu's could be tuned by flashing them, physically changing the "chip," etc…it was a one step process. However, these days with our cars it is a two stage process:
  1. You unlock the DME (Digital Motor Electronics) – this is akin to cracking the safe and takes a couple minutes
  2. Once inside the safe you have access to all the goodies that you need to tune the car (Stage 1, Stage 2 etc…) – this usually takes about a minute
Once you have been inside the safe you can either re lock it or leave it open. Why leave it open? For me I leave it open because it's faster for me to flash back to stock for dealer visits and then I lock it up.That said the cat and mouse game here between the tuners and BMW is not the tune itself but rather what it takes to unlock the DME (crack the safe if you will) remotely. I say remotely because Alex can always open the DME at his shop because he has the tools to do so, but it takes a little time to incorporate those unlock tools into the remote application that we all want.

This is likely the delay for your tune. Most often a new rev of software brings with it a new combination to the safe if that makes sense. And it takes a little time to crack it for the first time. The number of software revs with the M340's is very high I'm guessing it will calm down once the platform matures a bit.

The unlock process and the tuning process are really two separate items (both are incorporated into the flashing tool) fortunately Alex is a master of both. He is often first to market with these things because he is both a safe cracker and a tuner as well

I hope this explanation helps I assume Alex will be here soon enough with more technical info.

You were completely correct.

Just talked with Alex on the phone, and European cars got the software that prevents remote flashing much earlier than US version cars.

He is indeed working on a solution, and my car will be the first with the new software that will be tuned. I'm very confident that he will be able to do it in the next hours.

Many thanks for your explanation.
Appreciate 0