View Single Post
      09-30-2020, 11:00 AM   #19
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I had a coworker that abused all rentals, this wasn't just driving fast but really stupid, from cold starts to bouncing off the redline all in the same mile, pointless down shifts that put it at redline. I found it very irritating. Cornering at high speeds doesn't hurt anything, driving fast doesn't either.

I agree he is out of the ordinary and this could happen to any used car but I will pass unless it is a great deal. At least advertised prices I don't see most loaners being cheap enough that I would consider them great deals. I've know some that love loaners and my favorite is when they say it's so much cheaper than a new car. Well it isn't a new car so that's part of it.

I will stick with buying slightly used one owner cars.
I feel like this is rehashing my points on the "why lease?" Thread. :-)

Great deals are out there to be had (in the Northeast you can see 15-20% discount on a loaner before incentives).

I have a 228 loaner right now - it had 26 PSI in 2 tires when I got it and I was fumbling with the iDrive and nailed a massive pothole yesterday, all while driving it around on a mostly empty tank because they gave it to me with 1/4" tank and I'm not putting more gas into it than I need.

I threw the car seat in it, and my muddy toddler was grinding his feet into the beige seats after a trip to the park.

Now the seats will probably clean off, the tire might be fine (or it'll bubble and be the dealers problem) so generally the cars are cleaned up well. But if you think those cars will get alignments, new tires, etc then the answer is no.

Leasing a loaner is still one of my best-recommended ways to drive a new luxury car for the least and most predictable amount of money, as long as the limitations of a lease structure work for your driving habits (low mileage, able to take good care of the car). You can negotiate a tremendous discount and drive a very nice car for far less than a new build would cost, and not have to deal with any of the potential long term damage that the bozo's like me driving it like a rental have put it through. If the turbo blows at 60k that'll be someone elses problem.

Visit leasehackr.com and check out the forums to get an idea of the deals you can get.

I would've gotten my X5 as a loaner if one presented itself in the right amount of time, but you're limited by inventory and in my case the BMWCCA rebate and timing of my wifes lease return made it only like a $20/mo delta between new and loaner to get her the exact options she wanted.