Thread: Genesis G70?
View Single Post
      04-04-2019, 09:20 PM   #56
Basilar_tip
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
I'm likely going to be getting an M340i and won't buy a Genesis G70, but I have driven one for an extensive test drive and I must say, its an excellent car. Now, dealership experience, in car technology and designs/materials do lack behind BMW and Mercedes, but the G70 really is an excellent value, so many things are standard on this car, and you can easily get a loaded 3.3TT V6 model ($53k) for 330i money, and granted some materials may not be as nice, but for that price I can't see a reason to complain, and the 10 year/100k mile warranty is something I'm sure any german car owner would appreciate.

Now, do I think the Genesis handles better than the new 3 series? I don't know, I haven't driven the 330i as I'm really only holding out for the M340i, to compare Apples to Apples, but the G70 does handle better than the Audi S4/5, and 2018 F30 340i I drove, and is more comfortable than the fun but firm C43 I drove. The G70's steering is I think where BMW will have to work its hardest, the steering in the G70 is very good, so I hope BMW will make strides there.

One thing to realize is that this isn't the early 2000s where really, BMW was the only good car in the segment (A4 was too fwd, C Class was too soft, a Cadillac competitor didn't exist, and Jag was too ugly, the 3 series was the only good compact luxury car in the 2000s, really only the G35/37 was close in handling, but not as pretty or expensive feeling) now, Mercedes, Audi, Jag and even Cadillac are catching up and closing the gap from what use to be an easy choice.

I love BMW, but we have to admit that cars today are getting even better and better, and even underdog brands like Genesis can create a great product. They may not be up to some of our standards, but its hard to deny with countless reviews and awards praising Genesis that they don't have something really good on their hands, not to mention that they have staffed engineers from German car brands, and Hyundai even has the ex-M division boss.

Time will of course tell what will happen to Genesis, and it may not sell in large numbers like its German and Japanese (Lexus) competitors, but I do think they have made a great car, one that I would easily recommend to someone.
Good post. I was also very impressed with the G70 and I was this close to ordering it but the M340 seemed promising and I wanted the extra BMW features. I know this is a BMW forum and a lot of people will automatically dismiss Genesis purely due to badge prestige, but these people aren't true car enthusiasts as far as I'm concerned. Completely agree that the G70 is a way better driver's car than the Audi S4/5, and while the C43 is very fun it is stiff as a board and somewhat jerky. Here's to hoping my M340 (to be delivered in 3 weeks) does not disappoint.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
alex23642867.50