Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I don't know how 330i can compare substantially to M340i though.
Probably because the 330 and 340 are the same car?

If you get a 330 with m-sport package it's essentially the same as the m340 other than the engine. Suspension is the same, tuning of the electronic systems and transmissions is the same (other than to account for the difference in power of the 340). The 330 actually has a better weight balance than the 340 and the steering rack is updated and has slightly more feel than the 340.

The only difference between the 330 with msport and the m340 is the m340 has 130hp more, 2 extra cylinders, an inferior steering rack, and a tacky looking grill.
I want to comment on the weight distribution of the 330i vs m340i. This was also a point made in regard to the f3* cars, and haven driven f3* cars with the I6 and turbo 4, ill say that the turbo 4 cars felt heavier and more ponderous than the same model with the I6. I realize that the turbo 4 car is lighter and has less weight toward the front, but the increased power afforded by the I6 makes the car feel lighter and more nimble to me.

That's not to disparage the turbo 4. As I've driven more models with the 4, I've become more impressed with it. I like the f30 lci version (b48) or whatever. It feels like it gives up a bit of low end torque but makes up for it with more top end power, and a more linear, and predictable power development. I think, on paper, it's similarly tuned in the g20, but with a few extra hp. I haven't driven it in g20 guise yet though, so I don't know from experience.
Appreciate 0