View Single Post
      03-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #22
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'd bet GM uses the same finite element analysis engineering design tools that BMW uses. I remember the issue of E46 rear subframe cracking at far less HP than 1,000 (more like 200). LOL
The problem in the Corvette seems to be the opposite. The M3 subframe is not strong enough so the force breaks it before it can extend to the chassis frame. On the Corvette, the subframe is stronger so the force gets to affect the entire car frame and warp it.

My beef with GM is their twisted logic. It's like they always want to cramp as much hp as possible then asked if the chassis can handle it and before they can find out, it's too late in the design cycle. Adding a cross bar here and there to strengthen the chassis is too much like 1980's garage technique - it's like a guy using some fancy words to impress people. You have to build the chassis to handle the engine from the ground up. It's a bad habits that they were able to overcome lately but it seems like the mid-engine chassis got them into a bit of a withdrawal.
Appreciate 0