View Single Post
      09-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #133
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
When it says debut in 2021, I'm not sure if that means it'll be out mid 2020 as a 2021 model year, or if it means actually on sale in 2021.
It will begin production in July of 2021. Please refer to this thread for upcoming model information:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=901686

Although not every upcoming model's release date is listed, except in limited circumstances (M models, for one), the next generation of a BMW model will begin production when the current one ends.

Quote:
But, if the latter, what the heck takes so long? I mean these mules look damn near done. I know its a lot of work, but does it really take an additional 1.5+ years at this point in development to make it to market? Jeez.
BMW products typically run on a seven year cycle. The development work for the subsequent generation is planned out such that the successor will be ready for production seven years from the start of production of the current generation.

So, yes, it does take a lot of work to develop a vehicle (typically much more than those not involved in the industry imagine, in fact). However, it does not take seven years. Rather, the timing is based on optimizing the investment in the current product before moving on to the next one.

Quote:
My lease on my F80 is up in Sept 2020... just keeping an idea on what my options are at that time... and it looks like no G80, no G22, nothing will be out by then.
The G22 will be available by September 2020 since, as indicated in the above thread, the F32 ends production in June 2020, directly after which the G22 will begin production in July 2020.

Within the 4 Series family, it is only the G26 (which BTW, is explicitly the topic of this thread - the G22 is covered elsewhere) that will not be available until 2021.

Quote:
Anyway if that concept grille makes it to production I'm good anyway. I've not warmed up to it yet.
The concept grill is going to be featured on all production G2x 4 Series models.

Quote:
On the other hand maybe the grille only goes to the coupe and grand coupes and the G80 will be spared.
The G80 will share its entire front end aesthetic with the G82/G83, which in turn will be based on the 4 Series, including the large, tall grill.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25113.50
JTO245276.00