United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
From BMW 'Battery Basics'.

Quote:
Charging and trickle charging of the battery

...If the battery is charged when fitted, the charging process must take place via the jump start terminal point. This is the only way to ensure that the charging process is detected correctly by the vehicle electronics on vehicles with an intelligent battery sensor (IBS). If the battery is charged directly at the battery terminals, misinterpretations of the battery condition and, under certain circumstances, unwanted Check Control messages or fault code memory entries can occur. The cigarette lighter is supplied with voltage by the front power distribution box via switched terminal 30B. After terminal 30B off, the relay de-energizes. This means that a trickle charger connected at the cigarette lighter would be disconnected from the battery. Only charge the battery via the jump start terminal point.
Most user manuals also contain a warning not to use the 12V sockets.
Now I am confused. When you read the online manual for 330i it says to charge battery from under the bonnet at the connection terminals. Should I not be charging the battery directly if the system is showing low battery?
Took the car for an hours run on Tuesday but still getting low battery. Any advice would be greatly received.